The Coral Spawning predictions for 2020 are released! Coral spawning is one of nature’s most spectacular events. Only once a year (on cues from the lunar cycle and the water temperature) coral colonies simultaneously release their gametes into the ocean. This “snow storm” of coral eggs doesn’t only look spectacular but is also very important for genetic diversity and growth of the reefs.
Want to witness this miraculous event? Take a look on this chart and follow the tips below:
To observe spawning:
- Make multiple dives.
- Dive in a place with high coral cover.
- Enter the water before predicted times.
- Do not dive deeper than 50 ft to maximize bottom time.
- Scan the water column for clouds of spawn.
- Use a moderately bright dive light.